Monday, February 9, 2009

Sprout update

I must be hard up for material if I'm typing about sprouts again. Just a couple of notes. Yes, one tablespoon of seeds per tray is too many. Yes, radish sprouts are spicy and your preschooler may not like them. Yes, it is definitely worth the effort to grow your own sprouts instead of eating commercially grown sprouts that are grown using fecal-contaminated water (yuck).

002

003

Now, some notes on a topic that is not related to sprouts but does follow the thread of do-it-better yourself - homemade bread. I purchased the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day and I have been baking loaves of plain and also parmesan & sun-dried tomato bread and we have been loving it. This really beats the loaves of crusty bread that Costco sells and we can have this bread every day of the week, all it takes is a little bit of mixing and some dough resting time and presto - bread for slathering, dipping and dunking.

dough and improvised pizza peelcraigs list etc 012

here is the dough restingcraigs list etc 014

bread carnage - what remained of the loaf, sorry I forgot to photograph it before we cut it up and horked it down

craigs list etc 015

1 comment:

Deborah W said...

Seems we have a lot in common! I made the artisan bread, too, LOL! LOVE it. I still go back and bake bread the "long way" now and then but love the quicker way in The Artisan Bread book.

I just sprouted wheat grass seed for my cats. They gobbled it up!