Monday, February 9, 2009

Quilt photos

I had thought about starting a weekly post where I would share a photo of the week's splurge or fantastic thrift store find, but then I realized just how spoiled I am and that it would be too embarrassing to have to admit to how many times I treat myself during the week. I am trying very hard to curb my discretionary spending. I may have to put myself on an allowance or start giving myself a real paycheck from my business account. Anyway, enough about how I am single-handedly stimulating our local economy. Here is what I really wanted to talk about - or show you.

I had a request from Deb, of Debz Talkin' (see the sprout post a few weeks back) for a photo of the quilt that Scott's grandmother made for us. Here it is... (pardon my terrible photography skills)

craigs list etc 021

I had always known that this was such an incredible undertaking (it is hand-quilted, not machine quilted) but it wasn't until I started reading about the how-to's of quilting that I truly appreciated what a treasure this textile is. It is such a treasure to us that we don't use it. Now isn't that a shame? And I am sure that this is not what Grandma intended, but how do you think we feel when the cats make it their cozy spot or heaven forbid one of them throws up on it. Well anyway, it will be really nice to have a quilt rack for displaying this treasure.

While I had the camera out, I took a photo of the quilt that Grandma made for Claire when she was born and here it is...

craigs list etc 022

This was the perfect quilt pattern for Claire since we have four cats and so does her little quilt. And here is our little pumpkin back when we received the quilt from Grandma. It is incredible to think that she is four years old now. How was it that she was ever this small and this cute?

DSC02461

And here is a quilt that I found at Goodwill a few weeks ago. When I washed it all of the batting clumped up so I need to undo the ties, put a new layer of batting in there and I think I'll redo the binding while I'm at it. The way the quilt is constructed, the back of the quilt is folded around the sides to create a make-shift binding. I have a hunch that the quilt has been damaged or cut down for some other reason. Some of the star blocks are cut in half at the binding and there isn't a border just a truncation of the stars. I like the quilt anyway. For a thrifted textile it has a lot of character. There are some interesting fabrics and I like to imagine the quilter sitting late at night piecing the top together, trying to unwind from a long day of taking care of her family. I think I'll use the quilt on the daybed in my sewing room in the new house. It is such a cheery quilt it is sure to perk the room up and help to inspire me.

craigs list etc 019

1 comment:

Deborah W said...

Wow, three gorgeous quilts. Love the blue-and-while; looks kind of like a variation of Jacob's Ladder, but I don't know all the different quilt blocks well enough to be sure. LOVE the baby quilt, I have cats, too. Thx so much for sharing these!

Deborah at DebzTalkin' & Webajeb